Visitor & Resident Mapping is a great tool to use that allows users to fully understand their engagement and use of technology. It allows users to view their digital identities from a different perspective or on a continuum of modes of engagement (White, 2014). The “visitor” end of this continuum is where users can utilize tools on the web without leaving a social trace, for example, a job search using Indeed. The “resident” end of this spectrum is where users will interact and socialize with others, leaving behind their social presence.

Another component of this mapping is the personal/institutional continuum. E-mail platforms and video conferencing like Zoom are commonly used institutionally, either in a work or school setting, but can also be used to contact friends or family. For me, I use these platforms more so institutionally than personally. For personal use, I lean towards Snapchat, Instagram, and Facebook to connect and engage with people.

Privacy and security play an important role in digital identity. For example, you may not want your personal life to crossover with your institutional, so privacy settings on the platforms you are using personally could help limit this exposure. From personal experience, I had an instance where I believed that my personal posts on the app VSCO were limited to the eyes of my followers, however, they were visible to the public from a simple Google search of my name. Since this incident, I have been careful about what I choose to post on this app and have to make sure that I would feel comfortable if an employer were to see these pictures.

My Visitor and Resident Map
My Visitor and Resident map

White, D. [University of Oxford]. (2014, Mar 10). Visitors and Residents. Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPOG3iThmRI